Approved Street Trees Sold at Lewis
This guide provides a list of approved street trees for planting in the City of Sioux Falls. A street tree is a tree growing in the parking strip or the green area between a curb and a sidewalk. The selection of these trees is based on the ability of a tree to grow in our environment and its ability to co-exist with clearances over streets and sidewalks.
Planting a tree is a long-term commitment of space. This guide will help provide information for the selection of the right tree for the right site.
Parks and Recreation Street Tree Regulations
(1) A permit is required before planting a tree in the parking strip.
(2) Only approved trees may be planted in the parking strip.
(3) No tree shall be planted where the clear space between the curb and the sidewalk is less than 5 feet.
(4) No tree shall be planted closer than 3 feet from the curb.
(5) Trees must be 1 inch in diameter or larger measured 6 inches above the ground.
(6) Trees shall not be planted under power lines unless approved by the director.
(7) Trees shall be planted at least 40 feet apart except where permitted by the director.(8) Trees shall be placed at least 10 feet from a fire hydrant.
(9) Trees shall be placed at least 10 feet from a driveway.
(10) Trees shall be placed at least 15 feet from a streetlight.
(11) Trees on a corner lot shall be planted at least 30 feet back from the corner.
(12) Trees shall be placed at least 20 feet back from a stop/yield sign or traffic light.